Beatrice Manzoni is Associate Professor of Practice of Leadership, Organization and Human Resources at SDA Bocconi School of Management.
At SDA Bocconi, she is Program Director of the HR Management course and People Management course. She coordinated the Executive Master in Strategic Human Resource Management from 2008 to 2014. She conducts research, training and consulting projects in the creative industries (architectural, design and fashion firms, cultural institutions) and in the banking industry, among others.
Her research focuses on organizational paradoxes. She studies how organizations, teams and individuals – in particular within the creative professional service industry – manage competing tensions and demands. Examples of these tensions are the ones between economic and symbolic performance, individual professional identity and organizational belonging, creativity and standardization, exploration and exploitation, autonomy and control. In particular she explores how people and HR management practices can facilitate the management of paradoxes. As a secondary research interest, she is also interested in new learning methodologies.
Her works have been published in Scandinavian Journal of Management, International Journal of Arts Management and Economia & Management and in edited books published by Routledge, Springer and Wiley. She co-authored “L’architetto. Sette sfide manageriali per la crescita professionale” (Egea, 2014) and “HR Management. Far crescere le persone per far crescere il business” (Egea, 2014). She is also the author of several peer-reviewed teaching cases published in The Case Centre on the following companies: Autogrill, Autoguidovie, Daniel Boulud, Lombardini22, Santa & Cole and UBIS. She is a Visiting Professor at IMT School of Advanced Studies in Lucca and at Mondadori Foundation. In 2008 she was a Visiting Professor at Fudan University in China. At Bocconi University she coordinates the Master in Organization and HR Management. She takes part into international academic conferences, such as EGOS (European Group of Organisation Studies) and ARCOM (Association of Researchers in Construction Management).
Beatrice earned a BSc and MSc in Economics and Management in Arts, Culture, Media and Entertainment from Bocconi University, a BSc inArchitecture from Polytechnic University of Milan and a PhD in Construction and Project Management from University College of London (UCL).
- Caporarello L., Manzoni B., Bigi M. (forthcoming) Elearning effectiveness from a students’ perspective: an empirical study. In Rossignoli C., Virili F., Za S. (Eds) Digital technology and organizational change: Reshaping technology, people, and organizations towards a global society, Springer
- Manzoni B., Volker L., Smyth H. (2016) Embracing paradoxes to manage architectural competitions. In Andersson J. E., Bloxham Zettersten G., Rönn M. (Eds) The architectural competition as institution and process, Royal Institute of Technology in cooperation with Kulturlandskapet, pp. 343-360
- Manzoni B., Raffaglio M. (Eds) (2014) HR Management. Far crescere le persone per far crescere il business, Egea
- Manzoni B., Caporarello L., Saviozzi F. (2014) L’architetto. Sette sfide manageriali per la crescita professionale, Egea
- Ruta C.D., Manzoni B. (2014) City Capacity Building: Preparing to Exploit the Legacy of a Large-Scale Sports Event. The Case of Valencia and the 2007 America’s Cup. In Holt R., Ruta C.D. (Eds) The Routledge Handbook of Sport and Legacy: Meeting the Challenge of Major Sport Events, Routledge
- Manzoni B. (2012) Flessibilità e office layout: progettare e implementare una workspace strategy, in Cuomo S., Mapelli A. (Eds.) La Flessibilità paga. Misurare in base ai risultati e non al tempo, Egea, 199-212
- Manzoni B. (2011) Research on architectural competitions. A systematic review. In Forlati S., Isopp A. (Eds.), Wonderland Manual for Emerging Architects, Springer, 332-335
- Manzoni B. (2011) Competitions in Italy. In Forlati S., Isopp A. (Eds.), Wonderland Manual for Emerging Architects, Springer, 310
- Manzoni B. (2011) Equipping Project Teams for Competitions. Architecture Practices in the Italian Market, in Smyth H. (Eds.), Managing the Professional Practices, Wiley and Sons, 125-142
- Manzoni B. (2011) Comment to Squaring the Circle: Delivering International Services Locally by Larry Malcic. In Smyth H. (Eds.), Managing the professional practice in the built environment, Wiley and Sons, 215-218
- Manzoni B. (2011), Le PBE nell’architettura: team di progetto e concorsi, in Biffi A. (Eds.), Project Based Enterprise. Pensare e agire per progetti, Egea, 325-348
- Manzoni B., Caporarello L. (forthcoming) Managing creative firms’ leveraging paradoxes: the case of Studio Libeskind, International Journal of Arts Management
- Manzoni B., Volker L. (2017) Paradoxes and management approaches of competing of work in creative professional service firms, Scandinavian Journal of Management
- Manzoni B., Raffaglio M., Biffi I. (2016) The performance management system of Autoguidovie, The Case Centre
- Manzoni B., Caporarello L., Saviozzi F. (2016) Managerial challenges in professional service firms. The experience of Lombardini22, The Case Centre
- Manzoni B., Caporarello L., Magni M., Paolino E. (2015) The business relationship manager in UBIS: an integration role?, The Case Centre
- Manzoni B., Saviozzi F., Caporarello L. (2014) Design e Management: affinità elettive, relazioni pericolose o c’eravamo tanto amati? Economia & Management
- Manzoni B., Inversini M., Salvemini S. (2014) Daniel Boulud: the making of a successful creative individual business model, International Journal of Arts Management
- Manzoni B., Ondoli C. (2013) Back to school. Evoluzione manageriale e ruolo dei programmi executive MBA, Economia & Management
- Manzoni B., Inversini M., Salvemini S. (2012) Daniel Boulud: from chef to CEO. Managing paradoxes for a growing haute cusiness business, The Case Centre
- Manzoni B., Caporarello L., Salvemini S. (2012) Negli studi di architettura, c'è spazio per il manager? Parliamone con professionisti ed esperti di settore, Economia & Management
- Caporarello L., Manzoni B. (2012) The paradox of project performance. Team and project dynamics in the new Scottish Parliament’s case, The Case Centre
- Manzoni B. (2011) Concorsi di architettura: creatività e progetto, ma non solo, Modulo, 372, 3-5, 2011
- Manzoni B., Caporarello L. (2011) Architetto: la difficile sfida di conciliare il management del fare con il fare management, Modulo, 371, 653-656
- Manzoni B., Cappetta R., Salvemini S. (2010) Value drivers for cultural events. Empirical evidence from Italy. International Journal of Arts Management, 12, 2, 2010
- Manzoni B. (2010) Santa & Cole: growing with design, designing growth, The Case Centre