A rigorous selection process designed to enroll the right class each year.
The selection process is based on a variety of soft factors and how they match with our MBA: skills, talents, enthusiasm, motivation, ability to contribute, as well as motivation to grow as a manager and a person.
Of course, applicants must also score well on the formal admissions requirements including previous university study, test scores and work experience.
The application is available exclusively online, and must be completed in English. The application includes several short-answer questions, which are carefully designed to help us understand more about your personal and professional experiences and your reasons for wanting to attend our MBA program.
The video pre-interview integrates your written application form, providing us a better understanding of your profile. You will be asked to answer a series of questions recording a video of yourself; the on-line platform, will be guiding you through easy steps. The link to the platform will be available on-line with the application form. The pre-interview video is a preliminary requirement which precedes the admissions interview. It should be submitted during the Application process and in any case not later than one week after submitting the online application.
Degree certificate, transcript
You are required to submit an original/official or certified original transcript of grades (in English or Italian) from the college or university attended. This must include grades for individual subjects with the grading scale, the type of degree, the date of graduation and the dates of enrolment.
Applicants who obtained a university degree in Italy must provide a self-declaration of the Degree Certificate and Transcript (form provided by their university). This self-declaration is only for students graduated from Italian universities.
Professional experience, detailed CV
On average, students in our MBA program have five years work experience, with the range between two and ten years. Younger candidates are eligible for admission if they have an excellent academic background, test scores, soft skills and motivation. We do not expect each applicant to have traditional managerial experience, instead we are more concerned with professional growth, management potential, capacity to work in teams, and willingness to take on responsibilities. In addition, the business sector or function is less important than the quality of the experience gained in that sector.
Proficiency in English
The MBA program is held entirely in English, thus all applicants must be highly proficient in written and spoken English. If English is not your mother tongue, you must submit a result of the TOEFL, IELTS, PTE Academic or CPE tests.
At the testing site, you can specify that your results be sent directly to SDA Bocconi (TOEFL School Code - 0698, PTE School Code - R7G-6R-23). If you have already taken one of these tests, the original results must be sent directly to the school. Test results prior to January 2016 are no longer valid.
A test result may be waived for mother-tongue English speakers and for students who took their degree in English or can document significant professional experience in an English-speaking country.
GMAT or GRE
This is mandatory for all applicants. The GMAT must include the Analytical Writing Assessment and the Integrated Reasoning. The GMAT and GRE are internationally recognized tests in English that evaluate your quantitative, verbal, and analytical skills. Although there is no required minimum score for admission, a high score is beneficial during the admission process. When the test is taken, the name of the School should be specified, which will allow our Admissions Service to receive the results directly. The identification code for our MBA program are: GMAT 3WJ-L8-42, GRE 3710.
Test results prior to January 2013 are no longer valid. (*)
* As an exception, and for very specific reasons, candidates can ask the Admissions Service the authorization to take the SDA Test as an alternative to the GMAT/GRE. The SDA Test is organized by SDA Bocconi, and assesses quantitative,logical and verbal skills. Enrolment for the test is organized directly through the Admissions Service after submission of the application for admission. The fee for the SDA Test is EUR 100.
Two letters of reference
Reference letters must be from people who know you well, and can comment knowledgeably about your professional and/or academic background and provide a detailed evaluation of your qualifications for our MBA. The SDA Bocconi reference form (available online with the application form) must be used.
Reference letters should be e-mailed directly by the referees from their company email address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application from sponsor companies
If your company intends to financially support your participation in the MBA program (through partial or total payment of the tuition fee), an additional document must be completed by a company representative.
A special form is available on our online application.
After an initial review of your application, a selected number of candidates will be invited for an admissions interview. This will allow you to show that you possess the essential skills, talents and motivations that are essential to getting the most out of our MBA program. The interview may be held:
- in Milano at SDA Bocconi. This format allows you to get to know us better by being on-campus and assessing the environment, which could soon see you as an MBA student.
- in/near your current city of residence. The Admissions Service has alumni interviewers collaborating with us on admissions interviews throughout Italy and throughout the world. For those unable to travel to Milano for an interview, we will attempt to connect you with the alumni interviewer located most conveniently to your current location. (*).
- remotely (via webcam). In some cases the interview may take place remotely.
* It is important to note that there is no greater chance for admission if an applicant takes their interview on-campus in Milano. The global nature of our applicant pool makes it challenging for many applicants to travel the vast distance from their current city to Milano for an interview, and the interviewing format has been constructed to accommodate this reality.
The application must also be accompanied by:
- Photo to be uploaded to the online application
- Copy of your passport or ID
- Payment of EUR 100 application fee (using the special form in the application form)