Specializations - Pharmaceutical & Medical Technology (P&MT)
Advisor - Prof. Claudio Jommi
The P&MT Specialization aims to provide students with the necessary knowledge and competencies to successfully enter this industry sector as well as consulting firms.
Specialization courses will focus and deeply analyze the dynamics of different industries (pharmaceuticals, biopharmaceuticals and other technologies produced through biotechnological processes, medical devices and other medical technologies). Students will learn about the regulatory environment, management issues and tools to assess and promote added value: health technology assessment, economic evaluation, pricing strategies and other market access tools.
Students who choose this Specialization are likely to find positions in Pharmaceutical, Biopharmaceutical and/or Medical Technology Companies and/or Consulting Firms in areas such as Health Economics and Reimbursement, Outcome Research, Market Access and Public Affairs.
The P&MT Specialization includes the following courses and seminars:
- Pharmaceutical Policy and Management
- Health Economics of Medical Devices
- Regulation Management and Entrepreneurship in the Biotech Sector
- Decision Analysis in Healthcare Organizations
- Market Access for Pharmaceuticals and Medical Technologies seminar
- Marketing Strategy for Pharmaceuticals and Medical Technologies seminar
Pharmaceutical Policy and Management
- analyzes and evaluates the regulation of the pharmaceutical market and how regulation impacts pharmaceutical company strategies;
- covers the structure and dynamics of the pharmaceutical and medical device market and major regulatory issues, with special attention to the trade-off between health policy and industrial policy.
Health Economics of Medical Devices
- innovation in Medical Devices is one of the most important drivers of patient health and quality of life;
- learn how Medical Devices differentiate from other technologies and what methods need to be used when the assessment and evaluation of Medical Devices is at stake;
- learn how the Medical Devices Industry operates internationally and how health economics can support product strategy in Medical Devices companies.
Regulation Management and Entrepreneurship in the Biotech Sector
- introduces students to the biotech sector and the application of biotechnology to healthcare;
- focuses on the structure and dynamics of the biotechnology industry, problems arising from management and entrepreneurship in an innovative environment, regulation and ethical issues concerning biotechnology.
Decision Analysis in Healthcare Organizations
- an explicit, quantitative and systematic approach to decision making under conditions of uncertainty;
- introduces students to the concepts and methods of decision analysis and modeling and their growing range of applications in clinical, management and policy decisions.
Market Access for Pharmaceuticals and Medical Technologies seminar
- provides students with an understanding of market access strategy and tools for pharmaceuticals and medical technologies impact the pre-marketing and post-marketing phases;
- theoretical and practical applications through case studies that will be followed from the beginning of the development process to market penetration;
- market access strategies activities will be discussed (i) using case-studies, (ii) focusing on the disease environment/management, outcome research, health economics and pricing, (iii) throughout different phases: early development and late development, market launch and post launch.
Marketing Strategy for Pharmaceuticals and Medical Technologies seminar
- provides a strong foundation in strategic marketing planning in markets, such as medical technology and pharmaceuticals, where the customer is the healthcare system;
- delivered in an interactive manner, connecting concepts and models with application to mini-case studies from medical markets
"I found the lessons from our MIHMEP marketing strategy module, taught by Professor Brian D. Smith , immediately relevant. I remember very well how Professor Smith taught us to find open competitive space and, where possible, to avoid going head-on with the competition. Obviously, applying the lessons wasn’t simple but I was delighted to find that, in a real world situation, the SDA Bocconi lessons blended with my experience and client-handling skills to produce a strong result.”
Upinder Singh | MIHMEP 2012
"Due to my personal interest and background, I chose the “Pharmaceutical and Medical Technology” track, which focuses on economic, political and managerial aspects of the pharmaceutical, biotech and medical device environment. All the courses are really up-to-date and the theory is always put in practice through individual assignments, group-works and case studies."
Alessandro Camera | MIHMEP 2012