Andrea Sironi is Full Professor of the Department of Finance at Bocconi University.
At SDA Bocconi, he was Dean for International Affairs (2005-2008) and Director of the Research Division "C. Demattè". He conducted research and training projects with important companies.
His research focuses on risk management, bank financial management & capital allocation techniques and on international banking supervision & capital regulation.
He is the author of numerous books and articles on the above subjects. His works have been published in a number of international scientific journals such as the Journal of Financial Intermediation, Journal of Banking and Finance and The Journal of Business. He has been deputy editor of Economia & Management, member of the board of referees of Journal of Financial Services Research and editorial board member of International Journal of Banking, Accounting and Finance. He was member of the scientific committee of AIFIRM (Associazione Italiana Financial Risk Management). He won the award for the Excellence in the Development of International Programs - SDA Bocconi Executive Education Open Programs Division in 2008.Since January 2016, he is Chairman of Borsa Italiana SpA and, since October 2016, a member of the Board of Directors of the London Stock Exchange Group. He is currently a member of the Board of Directors of Cassa Depositi e Prestiti SpA and of Cogentech Scarl.He has held visiting positions at the Research and Statistics Division of the Federal Reserve Board of Governors in Washington, and at the Salomon Brothers Center, Stern School of Business (NYU), New York. At the beginning of his career, he has been a financial analyst at The Chase Manhattan Bank in London.
Andrea earned a Degree in Economics from Bocconi University.
- Risk Management and Shareholders Value in Banking, John Wiley, with Andrea Resti, 2007
- Recovery Risk: The next challenge in credit risk management, edited by Edward Altman, Andrea Resti and Andrea Sironi, Risk Books, 2005
- Estimating a Bank’s Cost of Equity Capital: A Key Issue in Performance Measurement, in Giacomo de Laurentis and Pierluigi Fabrizi, edited by, Performance Evalution in Banking, forthcoming, Egea, 2004
- Loss Given Default and Recovery Risk: From Basel II Standards to Effective Risk Management Tools, with Andrea Resti, in Michael K. Ong, The Basel Handbook, a Guide for Financial Practitioners, Risk Books, 2003
Articles in International Journals
- “The Impact of Government Ownership on Bank Risk”, with Giuliano Iannotta and Giacomo Nocera, Journal of Financial Intermediation, 22, 2013, 152-176
- Resti A. and A. Sironi, “What's different about loans? An analysis of the risk structure of credit spreads”, International Journal of Banking Accounting and Finance, 2009, V.2, N. 2
- “Ownership Structure, Risk and Performance in the European Banking Industry”, with Giacomo Nocera and Giuliano Iannotta, Journal of Banking and Finance, 31, n. 7, pp. 2127–2149, 2007
- “Ownership Structure, Risk and Performance in the European Banking Industry”, with Giacomo Nocera and Giuliano Iannotta, 2007, Journal of Banking and Finance
- “The Link between Default and Recovery Rates: Theory, Empirical Evidence and Implications”, with Edward Altman, Brooks Brady and Andrea Resti, The Journal of Business, Vol. 78, November, pp. 2203-2228, 2005
- Default and Recovery Rates in Credit Risk Modeling: A Review of the Literature and Empirical Evidence”, with Edward Altman and Andrea Resti, Journal of Finance Literature, Volume 1, Winter 2005
- “Which Factors Affect Corporate Bonds Pricing: Empirical Evidence from Eurobonds Primary Market Spreads”, with Giampaolo Gabbi, The European Journal of Finance, February 2005, v. 11, 1, pp. 59-74
- “Default and Recovery Rates in Credit Risk Modeling: A Review of the Literature and Empirical Evidence”, with Edward Altman and Andrea Resti, n. 2, 2004, Economic Notes
- “Applying Credit Risk Models to Deposit Insurance Pricing: Empirical Evidence from the Italian Banking System”, Journal of International Banking Regulation, V. 6, N. 1, 10-32, 2004
- “Testing for Market Discipline in the European Banking Industry: Evidence from Subordinated Debt Issues”, Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Vol. 35, June 2003, 443-472
- “The New Basel Accord: Implications for Italian Banks”, with Cristiano Zazzara, Review of Financial Economics, vol 12/1 pp. 99–126, 2003
- “Strengthening Banks’ Market Discipline and Leveling the Playing Field: Are the Two Compatible?”, Journal of Banking and Finance, vol 26/5, 1065-1092, May 2002
- “An Analysis of European Banks Subordinated Debt Issues and Its Implications for a Mandatory Subordinated Debt Policy”, Journal of Financial Services Research, Vol. 20, No. 2/3, October 2001, 233-266
- “Financial Structure, Cost of Capital and Shareholders’ Value Creation in Banking”, Economia & Management, 6/2001
- “The Reform of the Capital Requirements: a Critical Evaluation and Some Proposals ”, Bancaria, n. 10, 1999
- “From risk management to capital allocation in banking”, with Francesco Saita, Bancaria, n. 5, May 1998, pp. 64-81
- “Capital Ratios and Banks Strategies: from asset growth to shareholders’ value creation”, Economia & Management, July 1992, pp. 8-26