Massimo Magni is Associate Professor of the Department of Management at Bocconi University.
At SDA Bocconi, he was Director of Organization and Human Resources Management Department and representative for custom programs from 2007 to 2012. He conducted numerous organizational behavior and leadership workshops as well as research and training projects in Europe, Middle East and North America working with important brands in the banking and food&beverage industry.
His research activities focus on leadership, team design and management and project collaboration. Currently, he is deepening four main topics: the relationship between team management and team dynamics, project team collaboration and integration, individual and team decision making under stress and leadership styles and behaviors.
He is the author of numerous books and articles on the subject. His works have been published in International Journal of Training and Development,MIS Quarterly and Journal of Product Innovation Management, among others. He is a member of the editorial board of Economia & Management and of International Journal of Information Management. He was Visiting Scholar in many international universities, including the University of Louisville, the University of Arkansas and the University of Maryland at College Park. He was also Visiting Instructor at University of Queensland (Australia) and at University of Texas; he is Instructor at SDA Bocconi Asia Center Mumbai.
Massimo earned a Degree in Business Administration from Bocconi University, a Ph.D. in Organization and Information Systems from LUISS University in Rome and an ITP (International Teachers Programme) at Kellogg School of Business (Northwestern University, Chicago).
- Caporarello, L., & Magni, M. (Forthcoming) Team Management. Leading Management series Egea –SDA Bocconi, II edizione
- Magni, M., Pennarola, F. (2015) Responsible Leadership. Leading Management series Egea –SDA Bocconi
- Pina e Cunha, M. & Magni, M. (2014). Management improvisation. In Gillian Kane, Ed., Encyclopedia of Sociology, 2nd Edition, Wiley Blackwell
- Caporarello, L., Magni, M., Pennarola, F. (2014) All That Glitters Is Not Gold: Alleged Innovations In Human Computer Interaction, In Baglieri, D., Metallo, C., Rossignoli, C., Pezzillo, M. (Eds) “IS, Management, Organization and Control: Smart Practices and Effects”, Lecture Notes in Information Systems and Organization, Springer, Gemany
- Caporarello, L., Magni, M., Pennarola, F. (2014) Improving information exchange effectiveness through data compression techniques, In Baglieri, D., Metallo, C., Rossignoli, C., Pezzillo, M. (Eds) “IS, Management, Organization and Control: Smart Practices and Effects”, Lecture Notes in Information Systems and Organization, Springer, Gemany
- Caporarello, L., Magni, M. (2014) La negoziazione in azienda, In Guida, C., Picozzi, M. (Eds.) “Operare in situazioni complesse – la negoziazione nei contesti critici”, Egea, Milano
- Basaglia, S., Caporarello, L., Magni, M., Pennarola, F. (2013) Designing teams for enhancing individual added-value use of technology, In Baskerville, R., De Marco, M., Spagnoletti, P. (Eds) “Designing Organisational Systems - An Interdisciplinary Discourse”, Lecture Notes in Information Systems and Organization, Springer, Germany
- Caporarello, L., & Magni, M. (2011) Team Management. Leading Management series Egea –SDA Bocconi
- Basaglia S., Caporarello L., Magni M., & Pennarola F. (2008) Individual Adoption of Convergent Mobile Technologies in Italy. In: De Marco M. Interdisciplinary Aspects of Information Systems Studies. Springer, Berlin
- Proserpio L., Magni M., & Provera B. (2008) Managerial computer business games in Encyclopedia of Multimedia Technology and Networking, Second edition, Pagani M. (ed.), p. 873-879, IGI Global, Hershey (USA)
- Magni M., Provera B., & Proserpio L., (2008) Individual Improvisation in Information Systems Development”, in Handbook of Research on Modern Systems Analysis and Design Technologies and Applications, Mahbubur Rahman Syed and Sharifun Nessa Syed (eds.), p. 105-118, IGI Global, Hershey (USA). Contribution adapted from Magni M., Provera B., Proserpio L., “Individual attitude toward improvisation in information systems development”, Behaviour and Information Technology
- Magni, M., Provera, B. (2008) Il ruolo e le responsabilità degli attori interni ed esterni. In Caporarello L., Basaglia S. (Eds.), Sistemi ERP: Un'innovazione tecnologica ed organizzativa. Egea, Milano
- Magni, M. (2006) Professionalità e competenze nell'information technology. In F. Pennarola (Ed.) governare l’information technology nelle imprese. Milano: Egea.
- Proserpio L., Magni M., (2005). Learning through Business Games in Encyclopedia of Multimedia Technology and Networking, First edition, Pagani M. (ed.), p. 532-537, Idea Group Reference, Hershey (USA)
- Magni, M., Proserpio, L. (2005). Il processo di sviluppo di un business game per l'apprendimento: Una prospettiva multiview. In F. Cantoni & G. Mangia (Eds.), Lo sviluppo dei sistemi informativi nelle organizzazioni (pp. 250-270). Milano: Franco Angeli
- Magni, M. (2003). Integrazione organizzativa mediata dalle tecnologie: Il caso nextra investment management. In C. De Mattè & A. Biffi (Eds.), L'economia digitale alla prova dei fatti. Egea, Milano
- Cappetta, R. and Magni, M. (2015), Locus of control and individual learning: the moderating role of interactional justice. International Journal of Training and Development, 19: 110–124
- Maruping, L., & Magni, M., (2015). Motivating employees to explore collaboration technology in team contexts. MIS Quarterly, 39(1):1-16, 2015
- Magni, M., Maruping, L., & Hoegl, M. (2013). Managing the unexpected across space: Improvisation, dispersion, and performance in NPD teams. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 30(5), 1009-1026
- Magni, M. & Maruping, L. (2013). Improvisation in working teams: how empowering leadership and overload matter. Human Resource Management, 52(5), 715-739.
- Magni, M., Paolino, C., Cappetta, R., & Proserpio, L. (2013). Diving too deep: how cognitive absorption and team learning behavior affect trainee learning. Academy of Management Learning & Education, 12(1), 51-69
- Magni, M., Angst, C., & Agarwal, R. (2012) A multilevel investigation of team social influence on extensiveness of individual technology use. Journal of Management Information Systems, 29(3), 9-42
- Maruping, L., & Magni, M. (2012) What’s the weather like: the role of team climate in facilitating individual’s technology exploration and use. Journal of Management InformationSystems, 29(1), 79-114
- Proserpio, L., & Magni, M. (2012). Teaching without the teacher. International Journal of Information Management, 32(2), 99-105
- Magni, M., Taylor, M. S., & Venkatesh, V. (2010). To play or not to play: A cross-temporal investigation using hedonic and instrumental perspectives to explain user intentions to explore a technology. International Journal Human-Computer Studies, 68 (9) 572-588
- Magni, M., Provera, B., & Proserpio, L. (2010). Individual attitude toward improvisation in information systems development. Behaviour & Information Technology, 29 (3) 245-255
- Basaglia, S., Caporarello, L., Magni, M., & Pennarola, F. (2010). IT knowledge integration capability and team performance: the role of team climate. International Journal of Information Management, 30 (6), 542-551
- Magni, M. (2010). Leadership: è solo una questione di stile? Economia & Management,6, 39-44
- Magni, M., Proserpio, L., Hoegl, M., & Provera, B. (2009). The role of team behavioral integration and cohesion in shaping individual improvisation. Research Policy, 33, 1153-1165
- Agarwal, R., Angst, C., & Magni, M. (2009). The performance effects of coaching: A multilevel analysis using hierarchical linear modeling. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 20 (10) , 2110–2134
- Basaglia, S., Caporarello, L., Magni, M., & Pennarola, F. (2009). Individual adoption of convergent mobile phone in Italy. Review of Managerial Science, 3(1)
- Basaglia, S., Caporarello, L., Magni, M., & Pennarola, F. (2009). Environmental and organizational drivers influencing the adoption of VoIP. Information Systems and E-Business Management, 7(1), 103-118
- Magni, M., Pennarola, F. (2008). Intra-organizational relationships and technology acceptance. International Journal of Information Management, 28(6), 517-523
- Delmestri, G., Magni, M. (2003). L'unione fa la forza? Coesione e performance nei gruppi. Economia & Management, 3, 57-67